Developing Best Management Practices for Organic Chickpea Production
We are studying best management practices for organic chickpea production to provide practical guidelines for organic producers to successfully grow chickpea. Since a good market is currently available for organic chickpea, we expect the findings of this project to be adopted by growers quickly, and organic chickpea production and sales to expand in the state. We are conducting replicated research trials on three research centers in western Colorado; Grand Valley, Rogers Mesa, and Southwestern, to evaluate chickpea varieties and planting dates in both spring and fall. Plant establishment, weed infestation, yield, and quality of chickpea will be measured.
- Jessica G. Davis, Professor, Agricultural Experiment Station
- Katie Russell, Research Scientist and Manager, CSU AES, Southwest Colorado Research Center
- Brad Tonnenson, Research Scientist/Manager, CSU AES, Organic Agriculture Research Station
- Perry E. Cabot, Extension Professor, Colorado Water Center, CSU Extension, CSU AES
- Eugene Kelly, Professor of Pedology, Deputy Director CSU Agricultural Experiment Station
This project is supported with funding from the Colorado Department of Agriculture Specialty Crops Program