In 1952, a ranch consisting of 3,760 acres, and now known as the Eastern Colorado Research Center, was purchased by Colorado State University. The present facilities consist of more than 35 fenced pastures of native and seeded rangeland, 22 feedlot pens with 640 feet of bunkspace, enclosed working facilities with chute and scales for working and weighing the livestock.
The Eastern Colorado Research Center is located midway between Akron and Sterling just east of State Highway 63. A sign located along the highway directs visitors to the headquarters.
The Eastern Colorado Research Center is part of a network of 8 research centers (9 sites) throughout the state.